16 stunning tracks celebrating the spirit of the Northern Soul All-Nighter. Includes many rarities, Unreleased material and tracks never previously compiled.
The All-Nighter has been an integral part of “the scene” since the phrase Northern Soul first came into popular use following the now legendary Blues & Soul article entitled “The Up-North Soul Groove” in June 1970 by journalist Dave Godin (issue no.36). During the heyday of the Northern Soul scene the‘All-Nighter’ was the preferred format for the travelling soul fan. It separated the scene’s top venues from the hundreds of regional soul nights in pubs, clubs and community halls across the land. The All-Nighter was the ultimate experience and the only place to hear the best, the rarest and the breaking soundsspun by the leading DJ’s. It was born in Manchester’s Twisted Wheel in September 1963, found its feet (its dancing feet) at the Golden Torch in Stokeon- Trent from 1970-72, and truly came of age at the Wigan Casino Soul Club from ‘73 onwards establishing itself as the premier National and even Internationalevent of the 70’s.
All 16 ‘All-Nighter’ tracks on this newly curated compilation have been remastered from analogue tapes and original vinyl. It is pressed to audiophile heavyweight 180g vinyl housed in a single sleeve complete with new liner notes and cover photography from Brian Cannon.
‘All-Nighter’ joins the All-Dayer in a growing catalogue of premium music on the Club Soul imprint - including crossover hits compilation Shades of Soul, and newly compiled LP’s that celebrate the clubs of the original Northern Soul Scene - The Scene Club, The Twisted Wheel, Wigan Casino Soul Club,Catacombs and the forthcoming The Golden Torch.
1. Mill Evans “When I’m Ready”
2. The Sharpees “Go On And Laugh”
3. Tiny Tim Harris “Don’t Say”
4. Willie Harper “Here Comes The Hurt Again”
5. Chico, Barbara & Junior “Don’t Cry (Ain’t I Black Enough For You?)”
6. Jimmy Seals “The Yesterday Of Our Love”
7. The Delicates “Stop Shovin’ Me Around”
8. Vinnie Zen & The Rogues “Bricks, Broken Bottles And Sticks”
9. McKinley Mitchell “My Sweet Baby”
10. Eddie Bo “Our Love (Will Never Falter)”
11. Betty Harris “Show It”
12. Harold Burrage “Fifty Fifty”
13. Eldridge Holmes “Let’s Go Steady”
14. The Accents “Who You Gonna Love?”
15. Van McCoy & Friends “Ain’t Got No Love (Instrumental)”
16. The Ulti-Mations “Sad Souvenirs”